Should I Buy Max Payne 3?
Max Payne 3 came out today and I can’t decide whether I should buy it or not. Let’s take a look at the reviews, some quick thoughts on other relevant games, whether I have the time to play the game, and maybe you can help me decide what to do!
- IGN (9/10) “It’s the multiplayer that is the real surprise, however. It’s gleeful pandemonium.” “The gameplay is simple yet satisfying, but it’s entirely in the service of a strongly-authored narrative.”
- Joystiq (4.5/5) “The shooting is a revelation. It’s so good it evokes a worrisome existential crisis: Yes, it’s another eight-to-ten hours of killing everyone in the world, but what if this is, and will always be, what games are best at?”
- Game Informer (9.25/10) “No matter what gameplay mode I chose, I had a great time playing Max Payne 3. The gameplay doesn’t explore new territory, but delivers a retro charm that fans of the series should appreciate.”
- 1 Up (A-) “I would gladly endure the occasional bout of annoyance to experience more of Rockstar’s impeccable presentation and superb storytelling. Likewise, the high-bar set by the multiplayer makes it easy to forget any of the dissatisfaction that stemmed from shooting gallery bits of the main campaign.”
Verdict: If I was to judge my purchase decision based solely on the review scores, this would be very easy. YES
Thoughts on Other Rockstar Games
- Grand Theft Auto IV: This is one my favorite games this generation. I didn’t like the previous games in the series but GTA IV was amazing.
- Red Dead Redemption: Another one of my favorite games this generation, Red Dead did a lot right but man that part in Mexico was terrible.
Verdict: I have loved Rockstar’s games this generation. YES
Thoughts on Previous Games in the Series
- Max Payne: Played it and loved it.
- Max Payne 2: Never played it.
Verdict: Max Payne 2 never drew me in but I did like the first one a lot. MAYBE
Other Games in the Queue
- Zelda: Skyward Sword
- The Witcher 2
- Alan Wake: American Nightmare
I have at least ten to twelve more but I’ll stop here with my top three.
Verdict: Clearly I don’t NEED a new game. NO
I’m leaning towards yes, but help me decide in the comments.